The EMA of BC recognizes the vital role indigenous people have and will continue to have in conserving and enhancing British Columbia’s natural environment. Each year, the EMA of BC proudly gives its Indigenous Project Award. This award celebrates indigenous-owned projects – of any size! – which conserve, restore or enhance knowledge of British Columbia’s ecosystems.
The winning project will receive a $2,000 contribution from the EMA of BC.
2021 EMA of BC Indigenous Project Award Eligibility Criteria:
- The organization or business needs to be 50% or more indigenous-owned (including business partnerships).
- The project, program, or study needs to be based in BC.
- Projects, program or study must be initiated or ongoing in 2021.
- Initiatives need to be focused on either 1) Ecosystem conservation or restoration; 2) Environmental studies or research; or 3) Traditional ecological knowledge.
- Projects need to demonstrate their approximate budget and explain how EMA of BC’s $2,000 in funds will be used.
Each organization can submit up to two projects. Submittal of any produced material for the project (such as videos, photographs, interviews, etc) as appropriate is encouraged but not mandatory.
EMA of BC staff and directors will select a winning project and contact the winner. The winning project will be announced in May 2022 and the award presented at an EMA of BC award ceremony during the summer of 2022 – date TBA.
Although we can only give the award to one winning project, we would love to receive applications for all eligible projects. With project owners’ permission, after the winner is announced, we will publish a showcase of all applicant projects to celebrate the efforts being made to conserve and enhance British Columbia’s unique ecosystems.